How to get rid of Hiccups immediately: Causes and Treatment
A hiccup is an instant reflex contraction of the diaphragm muscle. As the muscle spasms, the vocal cords snap and shut, causing a hiccup sound.
Why you get hiccups
- Taking food too quickly
- Taking a lot of food quickly
- Eating hot/spicy foods
- Taking carbonated drinks
- Nervous or excitement feelings
- Metabolic disorders
How to get rid of hiccups
- Sip water is a home remedy that can be done by taking about 20 small sips of water continuously in a short time possible. Also, if taking water in gulps does not work for you, try drinking water quickly.
- Hold your breath – this helps pace your nerve impulse to your diaphragm hence stopping the hiccup reflex.
- Biting on a lemon
- Gargling with water
- Pull-on your tongue
- Avoid carbonated foods or drinks that can make you gassy
However, if your hiccups become persistent, seek advice from a doctor to further recommend getting an anesthetic injection that will block your phrenic nerve, hence stopping hiccups.